In the Pacific Northwest, the real estate market is on fire. It’s been a seller’s market for a while, and 2017 is showing the same trends. Folks want to live here, and we can’t blame them. But finding the perfect home with such low inventory is tough. And winning the bidding war? That’s an even bigger challenge. So what’s a buyer to do?
- Be open-minded about your wish list. Everyone has a must-have list with en suite bathrooms, walk-in closets, open floorplans, or white cabinetry. Don’t get hung up on everything. Evaluate and prioritize your wants, see what comes out on top, and be realistic. You may have to compromise on some items.
- Consider another neighborhood. Of course it’s important to love the community you’ll be living in. Maybe you want to be somewhere walkable with great schools and recreation nearby? And it can’t be too far from work, either. But you never know: your dream home could be down the road another ten minutes. Your commute might be a little longer, but if you’re coming home to the perfect place, it might be worth it!
- Don’t panic if you fall in love with a home and lose it to another buyer. Rest assured, there will be another! Stay the course, keep looking. It’s awesome when you can’t help but imagine yourself in a home, living happily ever after for years to come. But try to keep your enthusiasm in check until you win the deal.
- Use technology to your advantage. Listings don’t last long in today’s real estate market. Use apps, website searches and notifications to see new listings you’ll love as soon as they’re available. Your broker is keeping an eye out for you, but there’s always a chance you’ll stumble across something before they do! And speaking of your broker…
- Trust your broker to help you every step of the way. As long as you maintain open and honest communication with your broker about your wants, needs, worries and concerns, they’re going to do everything they can to help you find that unique gem you’ve been searching for.